Are you currently a Temporary Foreign Worker in Canada and you have been abused at your workplace? Have you been suffering in silence because you are afraid that you will lose your work permit if you make a report against your employer? If you are, you may be eligible for the Vulnerable Foreign Worker Program.
What is abuse?
Any behaviour that scares, controls or isolates you could be abuse. Abuse can be physical, sexual, financial or mental.
Examples of abuse that you should report in your application include:
- physical harm
- sexual touching that you did not agree to
- making unwanted sexual comments to you
- controlling where you can go
- stealing from you
- stopping you from seeing friends or co-workers
- taking some or all of the money you are paid
- threats, insults and intimidation
- forcing you to commit fraud
Vulnerable Worker Program
If you’re being abused or at risk of being abused in relation to your job in Canada, you may be eligible for an open work permit for vulnerable workers.
An open work permit lets you work for any employer in Canada, except for one that:
- is listed as ineligible on the list of employers who have failed to comply with the conditions or
- regularly offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages
This work permit helps protect your rights as a worker in Canada by helping you leave an abusive situation to find a new job. However, it’s a temporary solution and:
- has an expiry date, and
- can’t be renewed
If you’re approved for this work permit, it should give you enough time to find a new employer and apply for a new work permit. You must apply for another work permit before this one expires if you want to stay and work in Canada.
Who can apply
You can apply if you:
- have a valid employer-specific work permit and
- are being abused or at risk of being abused in relation to your job in Canada
A “valid employer-specific work permit” is a work permit that has your employers name on it and is not expired, or you applied to renew it before it expired.
Please feel free to email us (email@example.com) the following information if you would like to engage our service for Vulnerable Foreign Worker Program:
- Family Name
- Given Name
- Mobile Number
- Email address
- Brief description of the abuse at your work place
All the details you share with us will be treated with utmost discretion and confidentiality.