Language Tests for Express Entry

Are you interested in applying for Canada PR? If you are, the first thing that you should do is take the language test to prove your language skills. Yes, everybody who is applying for Canada PR via Express Entry has to take at least one language test, even if you are a native English speaker who graduated with first class Honours from Cambridge University.

You can take any of these Immigration Canada approved language tests:

You need  to schedule and pay for your tests with one of the 4 approved language test providers. Upon getting the results, enter the test results in your Express Entry profile. Submit your test results with your PR application when you receive your invitation to apply.


Language Test Results Validity

Please note that your test results must be valid (less than 2 years old) when you:

  • Complete your Express Entry
  • Apply for PR

You should retake your IELTS if your test results are expiring soon and update your Express Entry profile with your new test results.


What is the minimum language score required?

This is one of the most frequently asked question. The answer is the minimum language score only allows you to be eligible to submit your Express Entry profile. It does not mean that you will get the invitation to apply (ITA). Thus, you should score as high as possible for each of the 4 sections for your language tests. The higher your language score, the higher your overall CRS score, the better your chances are getting the invitation to apply. The minimum language score is meaningless when it comes to your chances of getting the invitation to apply. Please click here to learn more about Express Entry and how it works if the answer does not make sense to you.

The minimum language score depends on the immigration program you are applying for and the tests you are taking when translated to Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB). We will provide an simple example for you:

Minimum language Score for IELTS as the first (or only) official language

Immigration Program Speaking Listening Reading Writing
Federal Skilled Work Program 6 6 6 6
Federal Skilled Trades Program 5 5 4 4
Canadian Experience Class 6 6 6 6


If you are serious about applying for Canada PR, take the first step to fulfilling your Canadian dream by registering for your language test today.

Once you have completed your language tests, please click here for a free Express Entry Assessment. All the best for your language test!


Are you eligible for Canadian Permanent Residence (PR) under the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program?

Pretty Caucasian business woman at office desk with colleagues in the back

Are you eligible for Canadian Permanent Residence (PR) under the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program?

Canada has a constant need for skilled workers. Below are the minimum requirements for the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

  1. Skilled Work experience
    • At least one year (1560 hours/ 30 hours per week) continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time
    • Paid work
    • In the same NOC skill type (“0”, “A” or “B”)
    • Within the last 10 years AND
    • At skill type “0”, “A” or “B” based on the 2011 NOC

Your work experience should meet the occupational description provided in the relevant NOC to be qualified as skilled work experience.

  1. Language Ability
    • Take a CIC approved language test (IELTS- General, CELPIP-General, TEF) AND
    • Meet the minimum language requirement of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 for each of the four sections: Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking
    • Language tests must not be more than 2 years old on the date of PR application
  2. Education
    • Minimum a Canadian High School Diploma
    • Or a completed Foreign education credential AND an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an agency approved by CIC
    • ECA report must not be more than 5 years old on the date of PR application

If you meet the above requirement, you will need to meet a minimum of 67 points based on the following 6 selection factors:

  • Language Skills (English and/or French)
  • Education
  • Work Experience
  • Age
  • Whether you have a valid permanent job offer in Canada
  • Adaptability

Proof of funds

  • You will also need to show that you have sufficient funds to support yourself and your family when you first arrive in Canada unless you are
    • Already working in Canada AND
    • Have a valid permanent job offer

Last but not least, you are not inadmissible under Canadian immigration law.

Contact us today for a complimentary assessment if you are eligible to apply for Canadian Permanent Residence under the Federal Skilled Program.