Do you need a visa to come to Canada?

Every foreign national is required to apply for and obtain a visa before they appear at a Canadian port of entry. Those who wish to become permanent residents of Canada needs to obtain a permanent resident visa (PRV), and those who wish to visit Canada need to obtain a temporary resident visa (TRV).

However, you do not need a temporary resident visa if you belong to one of the following groups:

  • Visa exemption by nationality
    •  citizens of
      • Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Brunei Darussalam, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Federal Republic of Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Portugal, St Kitts and Nevis, Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Spain, Sweden or Switzerland
    • Great Britain
      • British Citizen
      • British Overseas Citizen who is re-admissible to the United Kingdom
      • Citizen of a British overseas territory – Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn Island, Saint Helena, or Turks or Caicos Islands
    • US Citizen and a person who has been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence (green card holder)
  • Visa exemption by documents
    • Diplomatic acceptance – UN and any of its agencies or of any international organization of which Canada is a member
    • passport or travel document issued by the Holy See
    • hold an Israeli passport
    • hold a Hong Kong SAR passport
    • hold a UK passport
    • hold a Taiwan passport
  • Visa exemption by nationality and documents 
    • Citizen of Lithuania or Poland if they hold a machine readable passport that contains a contactless integrated circuit chip issued by either Lithuania or Poland.
  • Visa exemption by purpose of entry
    • Transport Crew member (other than a vessel)
      • member of a crew of transportation other than a vessel (e.g. flight crew)
      • transit through Canada, departing from Canada within 24 hours after their arrival
    • Vessel Transport Crew member
      • enter and remain in Canada as a member of the crew of the vessel
    • Transit through Canada as a passenger
      • in possession of a visa to enter USA or the country of destination
      • lawfully admitted to the USA and flight originated from Canada
    • Member of the armed forces
    • Interview with a United States consular officer concerning US immigrant visa provided they have a multiple entry visa to USA
    • Re-enter Canada following a visit solely to the United States or St Pierre and Miquelon, if they
      • held a valid study or work permit in Canada
    • Conduct flight inspection as a civil aviation inspector
    • Participate as an accredited representative or as an adviser to an aviation accident

If you don’t belong to any of the above groups, contact us today to find out how we can help you apply for a visa to Canada.

Posted in Visitor Visa and tagged , , .