What is Express Entry or EE?
If you are interested in immigrating to Canada and have been researching online or speaking with friends or immigration professionals, you should have come across this term “Express Entry” or “EE”.
Express Entry is an electronic processing system that Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has adopted in Jan 2015 to process application for Canadian PR for the federal economic streams more efficiently. It is a 2-step process to select immigrants based on the ability to settle in Canada and integrate into the Canadian economy. Successful applicants will receive PR within 6 months of submitting the complete PR application.
Express Entry is NOT an immigration program. To qualify, you need to meet the eligibility requirement for one of the Federal economic immigration programs:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program
- Federal Skills Trade Program
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
Step 1: Create an online Express Entry Profile
This will be done electronically. The online profile will provide the following information to IRCC:
- Work experience
- Language ability
- Other details (marital status, Canadian experience etc.)
Your profile is valid for one year in the system. You will be ranked against other candidates in the pool using the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). Points are given based on the information provided in the online profile.
Step 2: Invitation to Apply (ITA)
Candidates with the highest scores in the pool will be issued an Invitation to Apply (ITA).
There are usually 2-3 draws per month since Jan 2015. The minimum CRS cutoff score has ranged from 413 to 886. There was a specific draw for Federal Trades Skills Program on May 26, 2017 when the cut-off point was 200. The number of invitation for each draw varies from 715 to 3,923.
Once you are invited to apply, you will have 90 days to submit an online application for Permanent Resident.
For a complimentary assessment on whether you can apply for PR via Express Entry, please email the following information to email@example.com with the subject “FREE Express Entry Assessment”:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Contact number; Skype ID (if not in Canada)
- Email address
- Date of Birth
- Marital Status (Spouse date of birth, Highest Qualification and his/her IELTS score for each of the 4 sections)
- No. of children and their respective date of birth
- Highest Education and additional diplomas (if any)
- Brief Work History (Job title, Years, Full Time/part time, City/Country) Just type it out, please do not send us your resume at this point.
- IELTS Score (if available); If not, rate your language ability from 1 to 10 (10 being excellent in each of the following sections:
- What is your main reason for immigrating to Canada?
- Would you be interested in studying to increase your points to immigrate to Canada? If yes, please state type of studies that you will be keen to pursue (e.g. MBA, Accounting degree, Cybersecurity Diploma)
- Do you have a specific Canadian Immigration program that you would like to explore further?
- Do you have any family/relatives in Canada?
- Which province would you like to stay if you become a Canadian PR. You can list more than one.
- Any other information that you would like to share?
- If you are currently in Canada, please advise on the following:
- Current Status (e.g. Study permit, work permit, PGWP, visitor)
- Expiry date of current status